Sample video below!
No need to hire a professional video crew. Simply pull out your phone and start recording. Amy Carver assisted Trips for Kids Midcoast Maine's Director, Cary Huggins, in creating this video outside using just an iPhone 4.
contest information and rules:
What is the purpose of this contest?
Everyone loves a good story.
We will use the videos collected in various ways. Footage excerpts of a video may be eventually used in a longer different video format. We may share your stories with our sponsors and/or supporters. They could be shown on our social media channels. Trips for Kids would like to showcase the individuals who make up our Trips for Kids family.
What are chapters asked to do
Create an amateur video that runs a maximum of 90 seconds or less, with the minimum time of 30 seconds. The video should answers one or more of the following:
- Why I became a Trips for Kids director.
- Why I started a Trips for Kids chapter in my area.
- What Trips for Kids means to me.
How to qualify a video.
Videos can be filmed using your smart phone, tablet device or video camera – any device that can produce a digital video.
- Videos must be 90-seconds or less
- Sound on video should be clear with limited background noise. Meaning that the main subject’s voice should be heard clearly above any activity or people in the background.
- Video subject should be clearly visible without shadows
- Videos outside next to or on bikes are preferred; however, videos filmed at various locations are fine as long as they are not filmed in front of a plain white wall
- Your chapter must have an active status with Trips for Kids. This means having a current/active liability insurance policy and signed agreement on file. If you are unsure about your status please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if someone does not want to be the one on video?
For our camera-shy chapter directors, you can identify a youth participant, parents of a participant, volunteer or ride leader who has a compelling story and ask one of the following:
- What Trips for Kids means to me.
- Why I became involved in Trips for Kids.
Is there a format that should be followed?
Yes, please use this format to share your information:
Begin with sharing the individual's name (first name required, but a participant does not have to disclose full name unless they feel comfortable doing so.)
- The Trips for Kids chapter's name they are representing
- The location of their Trips for Kids chapter
- Followed by the answer to a question or questions provided.
How does the contest work?
We will holding both a random drawing AND also provide an award to the best produced amateur video:
- Your chapter will receive one entry for each video submitted. For example, if a chapter submits five different videos, each one varying in length between 30-90 seconds, the chapter would be eligible for five contest entries. Each video submitted should focus on a different subject which could be the director, a youth participant, a parent of a youth participant, a volunteer, a staff person, etc., even the facility as long is it is related to Trips for Kids.The random drawing portion will be made by our founder, Marilyn Price.
What could you win?
Sharing a story in an interview or short video will earn you a chance to win these fabulous prizes:
- A Trips for Kids jersey
- “More kids on bikes” sign made by Trips for Kids Tulare County
- $50 coupon to use on Trips for Kids online store
Best Produced Video Categoy:
- Prizes will also be awarded to the best quality produced video. Your video can still vary in length between 30 and 90 seconds. This video will be judged based on creativity, content and quality of the video submitted. Videos will be reviewed by Trips for Kids staff and narrowed down to top three videos which will be judged by our new board of directors. In the event of a tie vote, our executive director, Robert Ping, will act as the tie breaker.
How are videos submitted?
Submit your individual video(s) either as an email attachment, sent directly to Amy with the subject: "Trips for Kids (your chapter's name) Contest Video" OR upload your video(s) to an individual folder on Google Drive or Dropbox and share the folder with Amy. Please title your folder: "Trips for Kids (your chapter's name) Contest Video." All entries must be received by 8:00 p.m. EST on Friday, August 31. Winners will be notified by Friday, September 14.
For each video you submit, please include the in the body of your email, a basic description about the video. This should include the main subject’s name (names can be tricky, so please triple check the spelling) and his/her association to the chapter. For example: "This is Amy Carver, she is the chapter and marketing support manager with Trips for Kids and has been with our program for seven months."
Note: Gmail only allows messages up to 25 MB. If your file w/message is larger than 25MB, you will need to upload your video either as a Google Drive attachment or upload to a shared Dropbox folder. You will receive a confirmation email from Amy for videos received. If you do not hear back, please contact her to verify receipt.
How can I create the best presentation?
Remember, amateur videos are called "amateur" for a reason. We do not expect them to be perfect; however there are ways to increase the opportunity of good footage and sound by filming in an area that does not have have a great deal of background noise or is to sunny. Filming outdoors in front of your program participants or bicycle is possible too. If you are filming in a sunny environment, you may want to choose a spot where lightening shines from the front side, not directly in front of or behind you. You may want to consider wearing a branded Trips for Kids t-shirt, jersey, or hat if you have one.
Most viral videos were filmed by someone with a handheld camera so don't put to much stress on yourself, just have fun with the video.
If you missed our recent webinar on capturing images, please click here to view to get some incredible tips provided by our guest presenter.
Please make sure that individuals you are filming have signed video waivers allowing for their image and information to be shared.
When and how will we know who wins?
The winners from each category will be named and contacted by Friday, September 14.
Feel free to contact Amy at email@example.com with any additional questions.
Good luck and have fun! We look forward to viewing your videos!