As our signature program, most of our 75 chapters run the incredible Trail Rides program that takes groups of kids out on scenic trail ride adventures.
Kids get to pedal through gorgeous parks, forests or other natural areas, perhaps leaving their urban environments for the first time! Our trained ride leaders teach kids basic bike skills, the love of exercise, environmental awareness and most importantly, the self-confidence to meet life’s challenges!
Kids Learn Lifetime Skills While Earning Bikes.
Through our unique after-school Earn-a-Bike Workshops, kids complete hands-on lessons in bike maintenance and bike safety, while gaining credits towards their own bike and ongoing maintenance.
This program provides young people with:
· A safe, productive and fun place to go after school.
· A supportive peer community to which they belong and a place where they can interact positively with other kids.
· Ongoing support from caring adults.
· Job training and first steps towards successful employment skills.
Meeting Kids Where They Are.
Mobile Bike Clinics bring the joy of biking and bike ownership to kids at their school or community after-school sites. Trips for Kids provides the bikes, helmets and tools, as well as an adult instructor who gives lessons on safe bike riding and bike maintenance.
This program helps young people:
· Understand the importance of daily physical activity.
· Improve physical dexterity and mental focus.
· Gain safe riding skills for roads, paths and trails.
· Feel empowered to own and care for a bike.
Your Bikes and Parts Make Our Wheels Go Round!
Trips for Kids operates ‘Recyclery’ Community Bike Shops that help support our youth development programs. These shops are more than just bike stores; they keep used bikes out of landfills and provide affordable, environmentally-friendly modes of transportation. They are often the location of our Earn-a-Bike programs, and provide a safe, positive environment for kids and community members to meet and socialize.
How does it work? Our specialized mechanics and trained youth refurbish and spruce up donated bikes so they can be resold at discounted prices. All profits made from these sales go back to support our programs. It’s a win-win for everyone involved!